CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Day We Will Never Forget

November 8, 2003
Brit and I had an exciting dance competition that day at Alta High School, while we were preparing for the big day we got a phone call from Grandpa Huntsman... he was so flustered he just spouted it out.
"Wendy died."
I think my grandpa thought I was my mom, I ran the phone to her in her bedroom where she was getting ready. Grandpa and Mom had a short, quiet conversation before she hung up
"Is this real?" I asked her. Unfortunately she said yes. My mom, sister and I had a quiet moment remembering our Aunt Wendy as we sat there in disbelief.
Before we left the house to go to the school for our competition my dad called to give us some words of encouragement. We obviously didn't want to go compete after recieving news like that. He said she would be watching from above and that we had to go and be strong and he would see us after. That was the first time I had heard my dad cry.
It was a long day, I remember we had ended up taking first in our competition, but it didn't even phase our family. All we could think about was getting to Doug's house. We wanted to be with our family and remember Wendy.
That was the hardest week of my life.
Each year on November 8, I, as well as the rest of my family think of Wendy. We remember all the memories we had with her, how great of a person she was, and how much we still love her to this day. The one thing I wish for the most is that Joey could have seen how great of a person she was. She would have loved him and he would have adored her. The first year we were dating was the first year without her. I told him everything about her, and he says he feels like he knew her because of all the memories we have shared with him.
The thing I miss most about her is her laugh. She could bring you up when you were down just by seeing her smile and listening to her laugh. She was always such a happy loving person and I hope I never forget the sound of her laugh, of her voice.
The year of Wendy's passing was the same year my parents divorced. Brit and I had always been close to Doug and Wendy, but they really helped us out with working through everything. Wendy was such a good listenter. I miss being able to just call her and talk to her about something I am frustrated about. There were a few times I picked up the phone and started dialing.
We spent so many nights having sleepovers at Doug's. It was guarenteed every weekend we spent with them, we would end up going to Smith's at least 3 times with Doug. Every night we spent over, Wendy had some little fun project to do. Those are the things I will never forget.
I have loved seeing Ethan get older, and see some of Wendy's features show in him. Part of her is still alive in him, every time he smiles. Doug and Ethan are the strongest people I know. I could not have asked for a better uncle and cousin. I know its the hardest for them, but they have got on with their lives, still remembering her every day.
I know she is in a better place and she is looking out for all of us. I do believe that one day we will see her again, and I am very excited for that day to come!
We all love you Wendy Sue Huntsman

2 comments:

bondfamily said...

Randi - That is such an awesome story you wrote about Wendy! She was an amazing person - thanks for sharing!
Paula

Unknown said...

That was such a surreal day which I'll never forget. Thank you for sharing Randi.

I never really understood that she was fully gone til long after that. I'm not a religious person, but I can tell you that a few of Wendy's last words were "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. You just take care of yourself and Ethan", and she said it with all the calmness in the world. She knew she was dieing, but I didn't believe her when she said as much, which still to this day messes with my mind. But that was a very wild day - my house full of people. The organ donation people caling. Calling Al to make funeral plans. The worst was breaking the news to people, especially Wendy's family. The worst was telling Ethan, and Wendy's parents were also the hardest (not that it was easy to tell anyone). But, I'm thankful that I have such great friends and family who came running, and they came running fast (Ken and Lisa even showed up in their pajamas!)! I wouldn't have made it without you. I think like 9 people ended up spending the night at my house that night, which I'm thankful for, and there was always somebody staying with us until 2 nights after the funeral, when I knew Ethan and I had to get moving along on our own.

Just remember to tell your loved ones that you love them, and as often as you can! And if you haven't talked with your loved ones about organ donation - do it asap. Cause they call you right after...and I mean right after when your mind is still jello. Thankfully, Wendy and I had a conversation about that very thing, and she was a registered donor with her drivers license. And life insurance - you need it. You never think you will - but trust me, you'll be glad you did. Funerals are not cheap!!

But I'm thankful for the time I got to spend with Wendy. She's now been gone longer than we were married, which is also surreal to me. I miss her. Thanks for the nice words Randi! Love you!